A deposit of 50% of the fee is requested with the signing of a contract prior to the initial sitting (which includes a sketching/photography shoot). Your painting commission is not scheduled until both the deposit and contract have been received. The remainder of the fee is due when the painting is delivered in person or prior to shipment.
Fees do not include travel, framing or shipping. Elizabeth Whelan has a relationship with an excellent custom framer and can arrange for a beautiful frame to set off your portrait, or advise should you wish to use your own framer.
The portrait process in brief
- The client and Elizabeth Whelan discuss the painting and the first sitting.
- At the first sitting Elizabeth gets to know the portrait subject.
- She observes gestures, makes sketches, and takes photos.
- Approach and composition are developed from this reference material.
- Next, a small color study is painted and mailed to the client for approval.
- Painting the portrait can take from two to six months from start to finish.
- Varnishing is discussed and the painting is allowed to dry.
- Elizabeth Whelan uses professional shipping via an insured carrier.
- Delivery is in person in the Boston, Martha's Vineyard, and Dartmouth areas.
- An unveiling or event is the perfect time to reveal the portrait!